More and more fiddlers are taking lessons online via Skype and Facetime these days. A student can take lessons from a teacher who lives very far away as long as the student has access to the internet and a reasonably good connection. Most computers come with a camera but if not, a clip-on camera can be purchased fairly inexpensively.
How does this work?
- Sign up for a free Skype account at www.skype.com.
- My Skype name is babslamb.
How much do online lessons cost?
- $60 an hour for weekly lessons – minimum three lessons per month
- $30 a half hour per week – minimum three lessons per month
How do I pay?
Using PayPal is very easy. My PayPal account is firstname.lastname@example.org. Go to www.paypal.com and follow the prompts for sending money. I also accept checks.
The best thing to do is contact me at email@example.com with questions. We will get your Skype connection set up and give it a whirl before starting with real lessons.
MASTER LESSONS IN PERSON
If you are coming to Nashville and wish to schedule a private lesson as a one time or very occasional event, I charge $90 for a 60 minute session.
CAMPS AND WORKSHOPS
I have been teaching people how to play the fiddle since I was 14 years old. I give private lessons, group lessons in private workshop settings and have taught at many of the premier music camps in the world.
I have taught various fiddling styles at these camps:
- Mark O’Connor Fiddle Camp – Tennessee
- Steve Kaufman Kamp – Tennessee
- NashCamp – Tennessee
- Swannanoah at Warren Wilson College, North Carolina
- Montana Oldtime Fiddle Camp – Montana
- Augusta Heritage Camp – Elkins, North Carolina
- American River Tunes – California
- Wintergrass – Washington (workshop)
- Sore Fingers – England
- Northern Bluegrass Circle Music Society Camp – Edmonton, Canada
- SPGMA – Nashville, Tennessee (workshop)
Do you have to know how to play the violin before you can learn how to fiddle?
Oh, golly, no! I have taught people how to play who are brand new to the instrument. Mark O’Connor was one such student way back when.
I teach beginners just starting out all the way to pros who need some style coaching.